Friday, May 09, 2008

Week of Friday April 11 through Thursday April 17, 2008

I am *SO* behind. I'm sorry. I'll try to catch up in the next couple of weeks. If I do TWO a week (yeah, right, I haven't even been able to do ONE for weeks)...

Friday, April 11, 2008
13: Game of Death - 2006 aka 13 Beloved Thai

What if you got a phone call from someone saying that they can see you, and that if you swat that fly with your newspaper, they'll pay you $20. And after you do that, they say that they'll up it to $50 if you eat it. I know I'd do it (but then, I'm a cheap whore). But then they tell you that if you do the next 11, without fail, they'll pay you a million dollars. Would you? What if this happened to you on the worst day of your life?

This was better than I expected. The ending has a novel twist. The only extra is a making of, but not really. Just interviews with cast and crew talking about the movie. Still, this was pretty good.

Saturday, April 12, 2008
Fear House - 2008

Pretty standard haunted house flick. Commentary with writer/director Michael R. Morris , actor Aleece Jones and Matthew Stiller. Here we learn that it was a 2 week shoot. The commentary is fair, at least it's not too gushy. And the only other extra are outtakes that aren't very good.

Sunday, April 13, 2008
Disc one from the The Lascivious World of A. C. Stevens & Ed D. Wood, Jr.
Fugitive Girls - 1974 aka Five Loose Women

Hey, it's Rene Bond! Man, I sure with this didn't have such a soft focus. This is probably from a VHS copy. It also looks like there may have been hardcore bits that have been cut out. Since Ed Wood did the screenplay, it's easily believable. He did that this late in his career.

Everything about this reminds me of A.C.Stevens previous movie, Orgy of the Vampires (which most of us know as Orgy of the Dead).

Monday, April 14, 2008
Sweeney Todd - 2007

WOW! This is just awesome. I was kinda concerned during the first 10 minutes that I wasn't gonna like it. Within twenty minutes I'm hooked, and I'll be singing some of the songs for a long time to come. And for you gorehounds, there is a TON of blood, and some pretty good squishy-bits.

It's like a mini-reunion for Harry Potter, since there's Alan Rickman (Snipe), and (Peter Pettigrew, or Scabers). Plus a cameo by Giles from Buffy, Anthony Head.

I love this movie, and it's not even my kind of music. A little to "freeform" for me. Tim Burton is an absolute genius, and Johnny Depp is a much better actor than many give him create for.

The only extra on the disc I rented was a behind the scenes called Burton+Depp+Carter=Todd. It was very interesting, with a ton of interesting revelations, like the fact that Burton wanted Depp to do it even before he knew if Depp could sing or not.

I will tell you how much I like this movie. Even though I've rented it, I will probably buy it soon.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
The Mist - 2007

Not a very pretty picture of humanity or religion (not that I disagree, mind you). Alas, I fear that it is all too accurate. But really, this movie has one dark, F'd up ending.

Commentary has only the director, Frank Darabont. But it does have a lot of technical details. Here we learn that Shreveport, La has a sound stage. Huh, who'd have thought. he calls this a low budget movie. Once again, $10M is NOT low budget, no matter what you could have spent. Sorry. As long as someone makes a good movie for less than $50K, ten million isn't low.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Chosen Survivors - 1974 Mexico

Kind of a cheap Andromeda Strain, without the hardcore science. It's really funny how silly "hi-tech" from the 70's look. Still, not as bad as all that, although the special effects are REALLY dated.

The Earth Dies Screaming - 1965 UK

Black and white British SF flick. Think original Dr Who. Again, better than you'd expect, if for no other reason than the character development is good. This double feature is certainly worth the $10. Fun, fun, fun.

Thursday, April 17, 2008
Day of the Dead - 2008

Wow, these guys sure ain't Romero zombies. These zombies are faster even than the rage virus victims in 28 Days Later. Why would you do a "remake" and then change basically every fundamental element. Just make your zombie movie. It is, however, gloriously gory, but it's all CG blood, no practical. It's a pretty good zombie flick, and didn't really need the name.

Commentary by director Steve Miner, editor Nathan Easterling , executive producer Trevor Short, and a couple others I couldn't keep up with the names. Shot in Bulgaria, at an abandoned paper factory soundstage. A six week shoot. All shot on consumer grade HD cameras (6 or 7 at a time).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Dirkmaster is back. YEAH!

13: Game of Death sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I'll agree that Sweeney Todd was a good job all around. Surprised how good of a singer Johnny Depp is.

Did you watch The Mist in B&W or color? I watched it in B&W first, just because. :) Anyway, I think it works better in B&W. Pretty close to the original Stephen King story, except for the ending. I grew up in church and was hoping they would drag "Ms. Blood Sacrifice" out. I love "religious" people who don't know anything about their religion.

Earth Dies is Screaming is a minor classic. I wish it was better known.

If you remake a movie and change just about everything, then change the title also. I blame Richard Rubenstien the producer of the original Day of the Dead. He's pretty "anything for a dollar". I've been tempted by Day 2008, but not enough to pick it up. Yours is the only positive review I've read about it, so I'm guessing it's going to be a check it out myself deal.