Thursday, March 13, 2008

Friday February 29 through Thursday March 6, 2008

Friday, February 29, 2008
Polonia Double Feature

I jumped this disc up to the top, as I heard today that John Polonia passed on February 25. Although there is no one on earth who believes that the Polonia brothers made good movies, they made FUN movies, and they loved their work and put their hearts into it. So I respected them. It's very sad that this brother team has been broken up. In case you're wondering, I heard this news from Joe Barlow via Cinemaslave (an excellent movie podcast, btw).

Holla If I Kill Ya - 2003

A black (!) comedy. That's not the usual way that the Polonia brothers swing. And edited by Joe Barlow! I hadn't known that he even knew HOW to do that. Interesting. I should send Joe a message about that. Okay, that's done, moving on.

This actually was kinda poor. Not very funny, unsatisfying gore, and the ending was predictable. Not as fun as some of their earlier stuff, like Feeders!

Peter Rottentail - 2004

This one is even sadder. The stupid folley noises of the hopping really polishes it off. And you will thrill to the racking scene. Sad, sad, sad.

Saturday, March 1, 2008
Serenity - 2005

I'm fairly sure I've blogged this movie before, but I was given the new 2 disc edition, so had to go thru that. I will just summarize by saying that anyone who doesn't think that Joss Whedon is a absolute MASTER storyteller is not allowed to read this blog. Go away. You are banished.

Two commentaries, one with the entire cast (fun, fun, fun) and one with just Joss that is VERY educational. Deleted scenes with and without commentary. Extended scenes. Outtakes (excellent!). Disc two has some features from the previous disc, but also A Filmmaker's Journey (cool look at how things go from script to screen), The Green Clan (documentary about the cinematographer), and some Sci-Fi channel shows about Serenity.

Monday, March 3, 2008
Storm Warning - 2007 Australia

I liked this movie for two big reasons. One, the heroine has a brain. And two, this move is EXTREME! Beware. There is some seriously sick shit here. Only folks who really dig the hardcore gore need apply.

Commentary features director Jamie Blanks, writer Everett De Roche, actor Robert Taylor, Exec Producers Pete Ford and Mark Pennell, cinematographer Karl von Moller , Production Designer and FX Justin Dix . Here we find out that it was written 30 years ago, but shot in 24 days. It's amazing that this was entirely inside a sound stage. Good blend of tech & behind the scenes.

Tuesday - Wednesday March 4 & 5, 2008
Grindhouse Universe - 2007

Over two hours of trailers for grindhouse movies. I saw several for movies I had not heard of before, and so had to add them to my wish list.
Curse of the Crimson Altar aka Crimson Cult
Slave Trade in the World Today
Female Animal
Taboos of the World
Macabro
The Blood Rose

You're probably wondering why this took two days. Well, see, I was taking it out of the drive the following evening, when I noticed on the box that there's supposed to be a commentary. There's no place to get to it from the menus, but the audio button on my remote sure enough reveals a second audio track. Cult film journalist David Hayes and someone who's name I couldn't understand. The audio was pretty poor at spots, but they have a good time, pretty much riffing the crap and celebrating the gross. I enjoy'd it, and so an entire second day was sunk in this DVD.

Thursday, March 6, 2008
30 Days of Night - 2007

This was better than I expected, not nearly as bad as I had heard. Not good, but not nearly THAT bad. Were there plot holes? Oh, hell yeah. BUT, there's plenty of blood, and the vampires look cool.

Commentary by actors Josh Hartnett and Melissa George with Producer Robert G. Tapert. Shot in New Zealand, SFx by WETA. Another entire town (like in Eureka) built outside Auckland. Amazing. It's actually warm there, and so all their breath smoke was put in by CG. This commentary too is a good blend of technical and personal, especially considering that there's no director present. It's surprising how much tech stuff these actors knew.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

30 Days of Night:
Loved it. Great return to back when Vampires saw humans as food/cattle and treated them as such. I didn't hear many bad reviews of it, but then I don't read many reviews. Can't find anybody reliable enough or who's taste I can agree with or at least use to gauge mine (other than you, that is)
Serenity:
I liked it, am still surprised that a show that couldn't even make it one season got a big budget movie out of it (and maybe a 2nd one). Firefly was strange for me. I had friend after friend tell me I would love, love, love it. I liked it, but didn't love it like they say. I figure it's like anything else I hear glowing reviews of. If I don't see it too quick, it doesn't live up to those glowing reviews.
Are you planning on reviewing "No Country For Old Men" anytime soon? Just curious.

DirkMaster said...

Everybody seems to really love "No Country:, but it just doesn't sound like something I'm interested in watching. See, the problem is that I've got literally hundreds of movies to watch. My Netflix queue has over 250 movies in it. So if it's not a genre I'm realy interested in, I'm probably not gonna watch it. So short answer is No, I probably won't watch "No Country".

MichaelC said...

Ken I just saw Grindhouse Universe as well and I love there trailer DVDs. Looking at all the trailers I want to add so many to my wish list as well. However, I think a lot of these may not be out on DVD.

One movie you need to get is called the Bushwacker from Something Weird.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.